Dental implants are one of the greatest advancements in dentistry. It allows you to replace a missing tooth with just a single implant. Basically what happens is an implant is placed in the bone where a tooth is missing, and a crown can be placed on top of it that looks and functions just like a normal tooth.
- A dental implant will last for the rest of your life, with proper care
- Your replacement tooth will blend perfectly with the rest of your smile
- A dental implant feels like a natural tooth, so you’ll never feel self-conscious
A dental implant in Phoenix, AZ is the best way to replace a missing tooth. Call today at 602-842-6504 to see how Dr. Cavendish and his team can transform the rest of your life!
Replace Missing Teeth With Dental Implants
This restorative dentistry treatment is a long-lasting, healthy way to replace one or more missing teeth. All dental implants have three parts:
- A titanium root: This mimics the natural roots all of your teeth have. It will be placed in your jawbone like regular roots as well. Titanium is a metal your body will not reject; it actually bonds with your bone.
- A replacement tooth: A dental crown will be made to look like the tooth it’s replacing. It will look and feel natural in your smile.
- An abutment: This small device connects the root to the replacement. That way, if you accidentally damage the replacement tooth, you don’t need to remove the implanted titanium root. Dental implants last a very long time. Most people have theirs for 20 years or more — possibly even a lifetime.
How We Place Dental Implants
Placing a dental implant requires oral surgery, but it’s routine here. Dr. Matthew Cavendish will use local anesthetic to numb the area. Then he will surgically place the titanium root in the spot. At our Phoenix, AZ dental office, you can get a temporary replacement tooth on the very same day you get your implanted root placed. That way, you don’t have to walk around still missing a tooth while your final replacement is being made. When it’s ready, Dr. Matthew Cavendish will place it on the abutment.
Problems With Missing Teeth
There are several problems with missing a tooth. First, it affects your appearance and can make you embarrassed to smile. You should be confident about smiling, not worried about a missing tooth. It also makes it harder to chew. Food can get stuck in that gap, increasing your chances of getting a cavity or periodontal disease near that gap. But most important is the bone loss. Without a root present and a tooth to chew and stimulate the bone underneath, your jawbone will start to deteriorate. That’s why replacing a missing tooth is so important.
Combining Implants and Dentures
Phoenix dental implants are great at replacing individual teeth. If you need a lot replaced, dentures are a great choice. However, they have been known to fall out unexpectedly. To make sure your denture stays put, we can connect it to implanted roots. Instead of one replacement tooth on each implant, you will get a full arch of teeth with only a few implants. The back implants can be angled to provide even more support if your jawbone is healthy enough to support that plan.
Dr. Matthew Cavendish was born and raised in Michigan. He attended the University of Michigan for his undergraduate degree and then went on to graduate from the University of Michigan School of Dentistry.
To learn more about how dental implants replace missing teeth, or to schedule your next appointment with Dr. Matthew Cavendish, call Phoenix, AZ dental office today at 602-842-6504 or fill out our online form.