People often need orthodontic treatments to help their smiles look great. When you have misaligned and crooked teeth, your smile simply will not look its best. That’s why so many teens get braces. Their teeth have mostly stopped moving, so it’s time to guide them to where they should be.
At our Phoenix, AZ dental office, you can get Invisalign or ClearCorrect instead of braces. These orthodontic treatments use aligners similar to mouthguards but more comfortable. They’re made from clear plastic and gently guide your teeth to where they belong. But how do they compare with metal braces? Very well, actually. Here are some reasons why clear plastic beats metal for orthodontic treatment.
1. Clear plastic aligners can get you results faster than metal braces. Traditional braces still work, there’s no question about that. However, they can take a long time before your smile is finally straight and even. Many people will have to leave the metal on their teeth for 2-3 years before the treatment is complete. If you do not want to wait that long, you should consider orthodontic treatments like Invisalign and ClearCorrect. Usually, these can move your teeth where they belong in as little as six months. Of course, this depends on what state your smile is in beforehand. Still, clear plastic aligners will take less time to get the results you want.
2. There are no restrictions on what you can eat or drink with clear plastic aligners. When you have a mouth full of metal brackets and wires, you need to be careful about what you eat. Some foods are too sticky and can get stuck in your braces and teeth. Other foods are too hard and could damage the braces. Foods that you cannot eat with metal braces include gum, granola bars, soda, chips, pretzels, popcorn, and more.
If you go with Invisalign or ClearCorrect, you have no such restrictions. That’s because you can take out your clear plastic aligners before you eat. Food and drink will not damage your aligners.
3. Clear plastic aligners can be removed for easy cleaning. Even if you are careful about what you eat, you’ll have to spend extra time cleaning your metal braces. That’s because it’s very easy for food to get stuck on the brackets or wires. Most of the time, you’ll need a special brush to keep your braces clean.
The clear plastic aligners that come with Invisalign and ClearCorrect are very easy to clean. Simply take them out and rinse them off. You can also gently scrub your aligners with a toothbrush.
4. You’ll have less risk of cavities with clear plastic aligners than with metal braces. Keeping your metal braces clean isn’t always easy. Food can get trapped right where the metal touches your teeth. Since harmful bacteria thrive off food stuck in your mouth, they can quickly grow unchecked there. That means you’ll be more at risk for tooth decay when you have traditional braces. Food won’t get stuck when you have Invisalign or ClearCorrect since you take out the aligners when it’s time to eat. As long as you brush and floss after eating, you won’t have any higher risk with these orthodontic treatments.
5. Clear plastic aligners won’t stain your teeth like the cement used with metal brackets. In order to move your teeth, you need those metal brackets to really be stuck to your teeth. Otherwise, you risk moving the brackets instead of the teeth. Normally, that means using cement. For some people, that cement can stain their enamel. You get your braces finally removed after 2-3 years, and you see your teeth are now discolored.
With Invisalign and ClearCorrect, you’re moving your teeth using the clear plastic aligners. There’s nothing stuck to your teeth, so you will not have any stains or discoloration.
6. You’ll need fewer dental appointments. Braces use wires to pull and push teeth into their proper position. That means you’ll have to visit the dentist’s office regularly to have those wires tightened. Without that, your braces simply won’t work. With Invisalign and ClearCorrect, you’ll get more sets of clear plastic aligners at each visit. You can manage your own orthodontic treatment simply by trading out one aligner for another. You’ll still have to visit our Phoenix, AZ dental office from time to time for new sets, but you’ll have much fewer visits. That means more time to do the things you love.
7. Clear plastic aligners will look almost invisible on your teeth. When you’re a teenager, wearing braces can be tough. Kids can be brutal. Where do you think “braceface” came from? But if you are an adult, things are more subtle. Chances are, nobody will comment on why you have metal braces at your age. Braces are forever linked to your teenage years, however, so if you’re an adult, wearing metal braces can look immature. Even if everyone is nice about it, you can worry about how you look.
When you wear the aligners that come with Invisalign or ClearCorrect, they are almost impossible to notice. That’s because they’re made from clear plastic. When worn, they are practically invisible.
If you’re ready to skip the metal and still get your smile looking great, call us at 602-842-6504 for your next appointment.