Some people think that getting cosmetic dental treatments is all about vanity. Do you want teeth whitening or dental veneers? Then you must be super concerned about your looks, right? Not exactly.
First, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to look nice. We do that all the time when we pick out a particular outfit that looks nice. But it goes beyond that. Getting a beautiful smile back has lots of benefits you may not have realized. Here are five of them.
- Improve your self-esteem. When you are worried about how you look, you are simply not going to be confident. Have you ever walked out of the house and then realized your shirt had a big stain on it? Most people are nice and won’t mention it, but you will feel self-conscious about it. Now, imagine the opposite. Think of a time when you bought a new outfit. How good did it feel when you wore it out? Your self-esteem was likely higher because you knew how good you looked.
You can get a similar benefit from cosmetic dentistry. When you know how good your teeth look after teeth whitening or dental bonding, your self-esteem will be higher.
- Move past trauma from accidents causing dental problems. Some of the problems making your teeth look worse comes from time. For example, drinking coffee for years and years will turn your pearly whites into dull grays. However, damage from accidents or injuries can also do a number on your smile. Getting into a car or bike accident could crack or knock out a tooth. Getting hit by a baseball in the mouth could chip a tooth.
The problem then is trauma. The memories of that accident are not going to be pleasant. There’s no reason to play those over and over again in your mind. But that’s what can happen when you look in the bathroom mirror and see your smile. Cosmetic dentistry treatments like a smile makeover or dental veneers can remove the problem. When you see your smile, you’ll only see a great one. That can help you finally move past those bad memories and the feelings they bring up.
- Look years younger for all those pics. These days, it seems impossible to go anywhere without somebody snapping a photo with their phone. It used to be that only holidays and vacations were picture-worthy. Now, just sitting at a restaurant can be a prime photo opportunity. Perhaps more important is how easy it is to share photos and make them permanent. Upload a pic to Facebook, and it’s on the Internet forever.
That means your smile will be on the Internet forever. (Unless you plan to frown in every shot.) Since some cosmetic problems are due to age, cosmetic dentistry can make your smile look years younger. That’s how you’ll look in those photos. Isn’t that a good thing?
- Get a better response from people at work and play. Having a great smile is not going to be the tipping point between having people pay attention to you and being shunned. But like it or not, we tend to respond more favorably to people who look healthy and nice. Put it this way. Let’s say you have two people to speak to. On your left, a woman with stained, crooked teeth. On your right, a woman with white, healthy teeth. Which would you approach first to talk to?
When your teeth do not look their best, you could be missing out on opportunities to network or meet new people. Getting treatments like Invisalign, dental veneers, or dental bonding can turn your smile into something amazing. And that means people will be more likely to speak to you.
- Keep your teeth and gums healthier. Believe it or not, cosmetic dental treatments can help you look good and stay healthier. That’s because some of the cosmetic problems that affect smiles can also encourage tooth decay and periodontal disease. If you have misaligned and crooked teeth, food can get more easily stuck between your teeth. A chipped or worn tooth gives bacteria a place to live and create cavities. And if the enamel is already thin, there’s a bigger chance of needing a root canal one day.
Cosmetic treatments like dental bonding and Invisalign or ClearCorrect will definitely make your smile look fantastic. But they can improve your dental health as well.
Cosmetic dentistry can turn a dull smile you don’t like into something beautiful that you love. Call Dr. Cavendish’s office at 602-842-6504 for your next appointment.